This is not one of my superfast, easy recipes but I have just rediscovered it and remember how great it is so it deserves a turn in the spotlight.
I always ask the boys what they want for the birthday dinners. There is risk involved in this because there is no way to predict what they will ask for and then I am committed to whatever they request.
Morgan asked for lemon meringue pie this year. Oh dear, it was years since I had cooked one and had memories of egginess and eye blinking tartness.
So I flicked through recipes and scoured the internet until I remembered Mum's lemon marshmallow tart. Why not turn it into a meringue tart instead of marshmallow tart? So that is what I did. The picture is meringue topping.
Here is the recipe for both. The base and lemon are the same then pick to topping you want.
INGREDIENTS for base and lemon filling
1 tart shell- I took the easy route and bought a ready made one from the supermarket freezer.
1 tin condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice and grated rind- Usually 2 lemons.
METHOD for both
1. Blind bake the tart shell. Allow to cool.
2. Beat condensed milk, eggs, lemon juice and rind together
3. Pour into shell.
4. Bake in slow oven (about 140 celsius) until filling is set.
Now select your topping below:
3 egg whites at room temperature
1/2 cup castor sugar
6. Put egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and beat with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
7. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until thick and glossy.
8. Spoon the meringue mixture over the tart and spread to the edge of the pastry.
9. Use the back of a spoon to lightly form peaks.
10 Bake in a 160 celsius oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
11. Set aside to cool.
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon gelatine
1 teaspoon vanilla
6. Boil water, sugar and gelatine without stirring for 5 minutes.
7. Add vanilla and allow to cool.
8. Once cool, beat until consistency of cream- not too stiff.
9. Pour over tart.
10. Sprinkle with toasted desiccated coconut.
12. Slice and service with a dollop of cream.