This is one of those old fashioned favourites that I forget about for ages and then remember when I need to make a dessert or afternoon treat in a hurry and don't require baking. We became reacquainted when I was going through Mum's old exercise books filled with handwritten recipes.
Arnott's Lattice Biscuits are sweet and flaky with a sugar coating on one side.
125g butter- softened slightly
125g castor sugar
125g cream cheese- softened
1 heaped teaspoon gelatine
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 packets of lattice biscuits.
1. Line a 25x30 cm (10 x 15 inches) tray with biscuits, coating side down. I line the tray with cling film first so the slice is easier to remove and there is less washing up.
2. Cream butter in sugar with electric mixer.
3. Add cream cheese and vanilla essence and beat.
4. Dissolve gelatine in 1/4 cup hot water. If granules remain, zap it in the microwave on high, 10 seconds at a time until all is dissolved.
5. Gradually pour gelatine into mix while mixer is running.
6. Mix until well combined.
7. Pour over biscuits.
8. Gently cover with remaining biscuits, coating side up.
9. Place in refrigerator and allow to set.
10. Cut into squares and store in an airtight
container in the refrigerator.