These delectable almonds are another of my range of delicious nuts. For some bizarre reason they seem a bit more 'masculine' than my traditional sweet roasted macadamia nuts so I cooked a batch for brother's birthday.
3 cups of raw whole almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 teaspoon ground rock or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
1. Preheat oven to 135 degrees Celsius (275F)
3. Mix sugar, spices and salt in large bowl
4. Whisk egg white and water until thick and foamy
5. Tip almonds into egg white mix and stir to coat
6. Tip into spice and mix to coat
7. Spread evenly onto baking sheet
8. Bake for 30 minutes
9. Stir and separate any that are stuck together
10. Reduce oven temperature to 100 degrees Celsius (205F) and bake about 30 minutes until dry.
11. Stir and leave on tray to cool. They will become crisp once cool.
12. Store in airtight container.
A few interesting facts about almonds
- The trees and their blossoms are truly beautiful.
- Technically, almonds are the seed of a tree.
- They are a member of the Amygdalus family and related to other fruits that contain hard pits, including cherries, plums and peaches.
- They thrive in mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers in full sun.
- Nutritionally they are praised due to the presence of monounsaturated fatty acids, dietary fibre, antioxidants, vitamins like r, and trace minerals such as magnesium.